Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The everyday ordinary wonderful...


Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning can give a sense of quiet 
in a crowded day - like writing a poem or saying a prayer.   

~ Anne Morrow


A gift of flowers....

While arranging the beautiful bunch of colorful flowers gifted to me recently, my thoughts were a million miles away, drifting in the nothingness of space and time. Very quickly though, I noticed hidden there smack in the center of that bundle of springtime lovelies, was one single and most perfect rose. 

Yes, a single rose, not really perfect per se, but oh so wonderfully perfect to me. 

Standing there in what initially had felt to me to be just a simple ordinary moment, within seconds had quickly become extraordinary, of a surreal nature, something that had me suddenly whipping my head around swiftly, wondering if perhaps anyone else was standing nearby to have heard my involuntary gasp in that wee bit of lapsed time. 

That one rose had offered me a perfectly tangible message, a sweet answer to a (secret) completed prayerful novena, an intention so dear which had been taking up an unwanted dark residence in my heart, so ultra heavy with its weight constantly having to be wildly thrust back heavenward.

I closed my eyes for just a second, took a deep breath, and then glancing back down upon the happy cluster of florals I had placed in the very center of my dining room table, felt my heart seem to skip a happy beat when I realized it wasn't going to disappear anytime soon.  It was there, in the center of the bundle, hard not to notice, alive and blooming just for me.

I felt in that instant, a warm liquid whitewash of gratitude pour upon me.

Humbled at first, mostly because it was so much more than a lovely orange colored rose that had made my day beautiful, it was what I had been so deeply hoping for. 

A message by way of one simple rose...

Thank you to my hubby for the gift of these gorgeous flowers the day we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary last month, the everyday Monday kind of day.  

This was also the same day when our wee (tenth) newborn grandbaby and her mama were having a real tough day, and rather than my hubby and I choosing to quietly celebrate our anniversary over dinner at an agreed upon restaurant, instead it became much more important to cancel our plans and pitch in and just love them both through that early afternoon and evening precious, though difficult timing.



The rose - well, it was simply the best gift ever. 

Dinner would have never trumped it anyway... and after 35 years of marital life, it just goes to prove once again, that love in action offers much more grace for us as well. 

Happy 35th anniversary to my teenage crush, my spouse, my everything... I love how we were also able, to secretly and giddily celebrate a failed medical timeline for another year. 

How blessed we are!