Monday, November 12, 2012

(Late) Ten things I'm Thankful For - 10/26/2012

 

(This is a late edition due to growing internet issues. I've loaded and reloaded until the coffee shop became my uploading fun place for blog post preparations. I am hoping our online abilities improve, and soon.) 



- 1- I'm thankful for hot and steamy soups in autumn. This one was a homemade tomato soup, accompanied by melted parmesan cheesy fresh french bread slices, compliments of my hubby. Everyone declared all was perfect for such a blustery day. 


- 2 - I'm thankful for simply luscious autumn scenery, like the one above, photographed this day, in my very own yard! Note the blue hues in the sky, the fall palette of color bursts in the trees, and feel the love of autumn upon us. 



- 3 - I'm thankful for this "family size" box of Ritz crackers, the kind of cracker I don't normally buy. However, on sale, this one caught my eye after one son was complaining that he was granted great snacks at a friend's house, but not his own. Huh?

When I inquired just what that might be, he in his coy young adult aged body language added; "They have Ritz crackers mom." 

I don't get it, but it meant much to him that I bought these. Crazy times.





- 4 - I'm thankful for the little things of autumn, the ones that catch my eye any time of day or night. The photo above is the current decor on my kitchen table. The one just below it, was the table decor when dining out during our lunch the other day. Sweetness abounds. 



- 5 - I'm thankful for small findings in the garden, like the tiny bird nest above hiding in my tree. No one dared remove it, for there it will remain until next spring for what we hope will be, yet another birdie visit.




- 6 - I'm thankful for an organized beginning to our school year. Tabs are an all important item for one daughter this year, and she requested her very own bottle of white out to correct her errors in the future. Another cutesy thing was finding my old bin of "office supply's" date stamp in her possession, the one she's been using to sign in each day in daily her school portfolio schedule. I suppose one never knows when an item comes in handy for someone else. 

 

- 7 - I'm thankful for things like this! The "Leaves", is this same daughter's penmanship, the one she entered into the annual country fall fair's exhibit. This gal struggled to use cursive writing in her daily work, much preferring to print instead. After using several books of Italic writing for her penmanship practice, I finally see her "non-loopy", more formal writing coming to fruition.  

The woman she had handed her entry in to remarked how wonderful she thought her writing was, a boom to this young gal, who will now happily continue forward with confidence in her efforts. And how great it was to see her work among all others in the community on the very large viewing boards at the fair, and have her listen to the comments of friends who were able to see it on display there, more great motivation for her to press on!


- 8 - I'm thankful for small family birthday celebrations, especially the ones that often fall on calendar holidays like this one below on our Canadian Thanksgiving. Happy, Happy 20th Birthday to our girl! 

The change up of birthday cheesecake, with the additional traditional pumpkin pie and whip cream, all made for a very caloric Thanksgiving/Birthday dessert.



- 9 - I'm thankful for schooling structure, at least it's coming along for our son with his new curriculum program. It's been much more intensive, with an online component he's trying to master. 

Starting out of the gate later than normal, due to books not mailed to us in time, we're both getting the hang of it all with this new to us school. First quarter coming up to send/email all of his work online. Now to get him pumped up to plunk away at his thesis for his big English essay....


- 10 - I'm thankful for having our bi-yearly ductwork cleaning all behind us now. It's hard to believe two years has already passed since the last time we had this service performed, the one this time with very interesting results! 

Remember when I told you the story of how we had a surprise visit from an ermine (winter white weasel?)? 

Well, lo and behold, in one of our cold ducts in the basement, the very one we heard that rodent using his sharp nails on the air vent steel, well, we found damage to the wall when he obviously tried to escape from where he had ended up when chasing the mouse indoors. 

Oh my goodness! The men involved in the service had never seen that type of damage before, for sure they've seen mouse scratching, just not evidence of a weasel's damage from an attempted great escape. 

 

It was fun to know one of the servicemen, one of the young fellows who used to  hang around our home. He was so excited to come over, that he sent me a very lovely note afterward, telling us how much he missed being here. What a thoughtful guy he was! 

*************
And there you have, one more installment of "Ten Things I'm Thankful For", though tardy as all get out. Our internet abilities are getting worse here than every before, so.....slow and just not worth the photo uploads anymore. When at a coffee shop, I try to take advantage and load, load, load. Today's load is always changing and growing, blessings aplenty and so many more things in our midst to be thankful for, IF ONLY we'd care to sift through and take a good look. 

Have a great evening;

Renee