Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ten things I'm Thankful For


Time for another installment of my
"Ten Things" to be thankful for, always varied, always random bits in no particular order.

There are many things to be thankful for - Amen!

Today, in the spirit of a "REWIND POST", I am (yes I am) still catching up, on memories recorded, the kind I'm sharing with you here today. As always, I've chosen ten photos with personal thanksgiving below each one.

Please know for certain that my own personal thoughts on true thankfulness can obviously never be offered, nor delivered in true completeness within one simple post.
And in case you just might find it interesting and want even more today, you can always skip along to view other "thankful" posts by clicking onto the archives located - right HERE.




1 - I'm thankful for flying things in a winter's storm, my things that fly from my potted planters and end up here, like this above, smack in the middle of the depths of snow to brighten my day.

We can pretend it's spring, oh yes we can. (snicker) I wasn't able to get a photo of the other bunch of silk poinsettias in a snow mound, the one amongst the trees in our forest because I hadn't any gators on to hike toward it for the photo opportunity.

Like sunshine in my day, it was so surprising to see these bunches had flown in the night, landed upright and are frozen solid in the snow until the winter thaw, offering color to the landscape. Fun!


2 - I'm thankful for stolen moments with my dad, the ones we shared together while they were visiting during the Christmas season.

Several times, just he and I escaped a busy household early in the morning (read - teens still asleep!) for time alone together, coffee times, and even for a complete breakfast at Cora's restaurant one day. He loved this restaurant so much the last time he visited, I was determined to get him there again to enjoy the wonderful breakfast menu.

And we did. Just me and my dad.


3 - I'm thankful for my husband's respiratory physiotherapist, the main head one who is responsible for his wellbeing and increased energy stamina when she works him hard, the woman who takes charge of his case and assigns all the other staff with assignments on his behalf, still twice weekly, and indefinitely for the time being. She is such a sweet woman, so kind and caring, just perfect for this job.

I snapped this photo of her at the hospital's Christmas luncheon, the one the children and I attended with my husband to meet all of his fellow hospital respiratory care patients, the one's he has been able to meet and bonded with over the past year since moving here.

The gentleman in the foreground on the left of the physiotherapist is Leroy, a beautiful man who we enjoyed chatting with over our lunch.



4 - I'm thankful for
tufts of hair peeking out from behind an obviously fully absorbed reading session, like the tuft shown here on our son, seemingly so relaxed and thick into a good book.

As St. Nicholas looks on, and the fire is stoked, he has no care in the world, (with his one foot up in the air hanging over the upper edge of the couch back), at least none beyond the great book.

I love these sweet times, just observing from afar and appreciating how fast time flies with little ones fast becoming big ones. This son is catching up to me in height, growing taller all the time. When did it happen the top of his head no longer fits perfectly under my chin?



5- I'm thankful for the continued scenes (as the one above) in our kitchen, like the one above. I have no doubt there is bonding happening there between our sous chef and her father. No doubt at all...


I'm also thankful for the discovery of "Williams and Sonoma" while shopping in the US during the Thanksgiving week with my sister. The matching aprons for our sous and her daddy were purchased way back then and both have enjoyed using them ever since they opened their gifts at Christmas.

I think though, it's almost time to switch to the new BBQ apron my husband was also gifted and the lovely one our daughter was also gifted over Christmastime.



6 - I'm thankful for long reading sessions, special or handmade bookmarks, post it notes or maybe even the odd dogeared corner (on my books), and even at times when viewing a stack with some left wide open.

I'm thankful for even messy book piles because it means I'm taking time out for myself upon occasion to read for pleasure and not just for our schooling syllabus preparation. It also means those messy piles are constantly in full view, offering a signal, beckoning me to return and feast my eyes for just a little while longer with a cup of tea when I'm able. :)


Actually I'm really thankful for the potpourri of books I continue to be surprised with when my sweet and dear library lady calls me to come and fetch the ones waiting...just for me. My book wish list is long and varied, so I always feel like a little child in a candy shop when I have to wait to find out just which of my reserved books came in as the library lady pushes them across the width of the library's counter back at me. I love that woman!


- 7 - I'm thankful for
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! I'm thankful for the fun this video game system continues to provide for our family, and the hilarious pleasure it offers visiting friends when they ask to "try it out" with us. Not only is it spectacular for entertaining, the exercise abilities offered are only limited to how good a sport one becomes.

For instance, the Wii resort our family was gifted with over Christmas has a super fun sport on it for up to four players - that of the canoeing. The challenge becomes for all four players to be in sync with their "paddles" and avoid the ducks on the waterways while traveling. All are standing and trying to work as a paddling team. That game alone has provided all with more laughing and more required tissue usage than any other Wii sport thus far. Fun! Fun! Fun!


8 - I'm thankful for the gift of music, you know the kind you are are serendipitously attracted to when least expected, a new and undiscovered (unheard of) artist and find the tunes so special, they just drift you away when you most require drifting? Oh yes.

While I was dining at my sister's neighbor's home for the US Thanksgiving, Martha introduced us all to "Chris Botti" and I was instantly hooked. Not that she was ever speaking of this artist over the course of the evening or anything, she had her entire collection of his music on shuffle mode in the background. I had enjoyed the music and its variation so much, I begged to know "what or whom" I was listening to.

Christ Botti is a trumpet musician and has a huge repertoire of music, accompanying so many artists from almost every genre. Whatever your musical taste, no doubt there is an artist featured with him on his CDs to please everyone; Michael Buble, Sting, Renee Oldstead, Andrea Bocelli, Jill Scott, Aretha Franklin, and so many more. His "Italia" CD is all music one would hope for with the title it offers. His rendition of "Ave Maria" is so beautiful.

For my Christmastime birthday, I was blessed with a whole new playlist of music shown in the photo above, the kind of music (a mature person) can listen to when "it becomes that time of day" or I require an "unwinding" of sorts in the evening. Of course you'll also note the Michael Buble new cd in the photo, a fav here too.


- 9 - I'm thankful for far away friends with many children of assorted age ranges; the more the merrier.

This was our New Year's Day late brunch/lunch, the one we invited another family to join us for, the family we met through other friends three years ago who's children have been friends with ours. It snowed like the dickens this day, but it didn't get in the way of our visit which I am so grateful for.

It's too bad for all of us too that they live almost two hours away! We're trying to get them to move closer, wish us luck.



10 - I'm thankful for
warm hats my parents provided for our girls. They've come in so handy this winter when temperatures plummet to silly cold numbers in the negatives. Unlike their counterpart Olympic swag designer hats, the girls can use these at the barn to keep their head and ears warm.