Sunday, February 24, 2008

Heartfelt memories

Heartfelt memories!

Throughout all my years of child rearing, never was one of my children too small to begin creating and designing crafty items. Even two or three year olds in this home could manage craft times. Yes, the crafts in this home continue to be varied and plentiful, leaving no room for idleness.

The shape of a heart tends to evoke loving thoughts or tender emotions, therefore crafts featuring hearts are scattered about the house from recent years, or from days gone by.

Even wee children know how to
use a needle in this home.


I was sifting through a plastic bin featuring needle crafts in search of a new project to teach our now nine-year-old daughter. She is ready for cross-stitching and wants to stitch a horse to frame for her bedroom wall, to sit next to her horse photo filled calendar. As I removed each of the items shown in the photo here, I remembered wisely dating them with the child's name and year of creation. It will be fun to distribute these eventually, but for now, they have become irreplaceable treasures to me, filled with "heartfelt" emotion when I see note the shapes chosen.

Yes, to repeat the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson again (!), ..."Write on your heart that every day is the best day in the year".