Saturday, February 02, 2008

Candlemas Candles

"Candlemas"


Shortly before our move to eastern regions, my mother was able to find a supplier for purchasing 100% beeswax taper candles, those featuring nondrip benefits and a smell so lovely, the aroma quickly permeates your whole home with the sweet smells emitted when burning one. I purchased a dozen of these before leaving town and the bulk of my candles were safely stored. When I went to retrieve new ones for burning today, I actually couldn't recall where my "safe spot" was (ever done this yourself?) and spent a few moments wondering just where they could be. A-ha! It came to me not too many moments later and out they came, ready for our table pleasures today.

Every pair of candles was still packaged in tissue paper, to prevent them from becoming damaged. I unwrapped only four shown here, and my sense of smell was ignited with the strong scent, almost edible with such a luscious and fragrant aroma triggering my sense of taste in the process.


Unwrapping pure beeswax candles and devouring the fragrance.


"Candlemas" as mentioned in my last post HERE, is also commemorated this day known all over Europe as the "Feast of Light" ("Lichtmess" in German) or "Feast of the Candles" ("Candelaria" in Spanish, and "La FĂȘte de la Chandeleur" in French) originating from the prophecy of Simeon -- the "just and devout" man of Jerusalem who was inspired by the Holy Spirit to know that he would live to see the "consolation of Jerusalem" -- and the encounter with the aged widow, Anna the Prophetess.

Did you know this day is celebrated in Europe by serving "crepes" for a meal with candles lit all over the place? If you need a little tip about crepes, see one of my former posts HERE.


If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight
If on Candlemas Day it be shower and rain,
Winter is gone and will not come again.
If Candlemas Day be damp and black,
It will carry cold winter away on its back.
If Candlemas Day is bright and clear,
There’ll be two winters in the year

Now, before Simeon gave the prophecy from Luke 22: 29-35 to Mary, he referred to her Infant Son as the Light to the revelation of the Gentiles, and because of this, light (candles) plays an important role in this story, hence the most common name for this Feast -- "Candlemas."