Sunday, January 16, 2011

there's a kind of hush...



There's a kind of hush in wintertime, when two new feet of snow delicately dances to the ground.

I'm often asked why I continue to profess my love of this snowy white stuff, especially since my move east.

Make no bones about it honey pie, my motto has now become;
"Bring it on!"

(wearing my husband's huge arctic boots,
they rise to my knees so I can barely walk in them!)



Fresh snowfalls in the east offer notable contrasts of something either occasional wild and stormy, to very bright and oh so incredibly sunny cheery.


When the sun raises high into that awesome winter blue sky, observing out yonder through my windowpane leaves me breathless, and I find myself often stopping to admire the scenery, always so sensational!



When living on the westcoast, immediately following a snow fall, one had to move swiftly outdoors to enjoy it before it melted and turned to mush.

And slushy mush seems to always be the order of the day much of winter over there; wet, clumpy, slick and most unpleasant to walk or drive in.


Living on a hill top was always a concern after a fresh snowfall, for when you're up, you must come down - to merge onto direct traffic routes. These used to be the days when most vehicles slid right through the traffic lights at its bottom, narrowly missing others.

I always felt like I was taking my life in my hands with my children in tow if the roads weren't detailed first. So, we mostly remained at home during times like this.


While living out west, I can never completely recall having winter experiences when one didn't have to be ever cautious of black ice lurking on roadways when futile attempts were made if they had not been cleared well, nor was salt or saline solutions used to melt it away. Only sand was used for grit coatings on roadways, not the super salt and liquid systems like those used here.

Winter driving times weren't very pleasant either with too many incompetent motorists not having either proper winter driving experience, or snow tires, for safe traveling during such wintry road conditions.



Of huge contrast, snow here tends to be light and fluffy after a fresh dumping, offering exciting childlike pleasurable temptations to get out and move around in it.

Roadways are amazingly safe, as are sidewalks, always clear. Getting around is easy, and canceling outside commitments just doesn't have to happen, or at least only very rarely when a snow squall warning makes one think twice about traveling about during such times.



Instead of becoming sequestered to the indoors during winter, it seems even more folks over here take to the outdoors for their love of winter experiences; snow shoeing, cross country skiing, snowmobiles, horse and buggy, so many alternative transportation occurs here. In fact local highschool parking lots are transformed from motor vehicle to snowmobile diagonal parking preferences only.

I'm always amazed how many teenagers are entrusted with their family snowmobiles to get themselves around here.


A silent insulated buffering from a snowfall offers such tranquility to our surroundings.

Everyone seems to relax and slow down for a time. People become calmer, less stressed out, and get along more.

Best of all, is the ability to admire and reflect on the beauty of this winter season in our snowy white great outdoors.


There's a kind of hush in winter, offering a soothing balm to our souls, where we truly do become so thankful for the wonder of it all.


Bring it on!