Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ten Things I'm Thankful For


Time for another installment of my
"Ten Things" to be thankful for, always varied, always random bits in no particular order.

There are many things to be thankful for - Amen!

Today I've uploaded ten photos with personal thanksgiving below each one. One more post is flying on its heels, so stay tuned for more in record time. hehehe

Please know for certain that my own personal thoughts on true thankfulness can obviously never be offered, nor delivered in true completeness within one simple post.
And in case you just might find it interesting and want even more today, you can always skip along to view other "thankful" posts by clicking onto the archives located - right HERE.





- 1 - I'm thankful for a new year, new beginnings and a whole new decade ahead.

Every new year offers new beginnings, offering all mankind a clean slate, and a brand new, unstained, fresh and promising calendar to fill in, remembering loved one's events and activities and a whole host of yearly and liturgical goodness.


This new year ahead offers something of interest to all, not only a new year in itself but a whole new decade of possibilities, hopes and dreams.

As I forge forth into this new decade, I had a laugh about the brief thought visiting my head, that of moving ahead and ending up into the sexy sixties (wink) by its ending, what a wild and crazy thought! Man I'm getting old!
Nevertheless, let's just not sweat the small stuff. Please allow me to raise a toast and salute this fresh clean slate;
"Here's to 2010, the entry into boundless opportunities ahead."


- 2 - I'm thankful for the holy card collection my grandmother left to me. The many vintage lace-edged cards from various destinations around the world are priceless and require care and protection if we're to keep them for generations to come.

I spent many hours over the years laminating most of them but it always fills my heart and takes my breath away when I browse through during the liturgical year only to find yet another with her hand writing on the back and a special prayer she loved noted there. Thank you Mamere.




- 3 - I'm thankful for children who don't mind packing up their schooling when their mother requires a rather large update on the laptop, or many photos to upload, something I'm unable to do at home with such a slow speed satellite internet ability (the only internet option in our area).

Secretly there's nothing like a sweet escape in the middle of the day, sipping on a hot cuppa something after using one of my many gift cards from Christmas/Birthday, earplugs donned with sensational music blaring into my head to allow even the most scatter brained mama moments to dissipate into an abyss of nothingness. Wow, I needed that! Or those! Or all of those moments when we're able to take it on the road. We always manage to come home refreshed from these excursions, so good.




- 4 - I'm thankful for finally taking the plunge into the world of Gymboree stores. I never used to shop in them, mostly because I feel the prices are way out of this world ridiculous!

As a seamstress, even for the best quality, I wouldn't pay 10.00 for ONE pair of socks for one of my children, or 38.00 for a short sleeved t shirt! That is, unless my ship had come in and I had nothing else to do with my money. (laugh) Besides, have young mothers not heard of eBay or Value Village thrift stores yet, where many similar clothing labels are a fraction of the cost, sometimes merely a song? :)


Confession time; while out shopping one afternoon with my mother while she was in town a few weeks back, we happened upon a sale at this exact store. It was the bins near the front doors that caught my attention, those WEE little things, just perfect for a newborn baby! Yikes! I was sunk! And did I mention there was a SALE on? And I even got several of those, um, whatcha call em, um, Gymboree bucks! New to me too....laugh.

Afterall, I had a new grandbaby I was itching to buy for, and could send the gift home with my mother to give to her when she returned. So we shopped. And then we shopped some more. And then.... well, this will be another post. I did say - we hit a sale, right? teehee




- 5 - I'm thankful for the Vancouver's 2010 OLYMPIC fever rearing its head everywhere these days. The Olympic torch came through the towns/cities local to us, what a thrilling event!

With all our red gloves keeping our hands warm, we roasted a cup of coffee (re; gift card again) and saluted not only the games, but where the games will be held this year - Our home stomping grounds!


As family and friends have announced receipt of their volunteer uniforms, it's my dear friend Debbie who has all our older kids turning green. She will be part of the customer service at GM Place, the arena where all of the Olympic ice hockey takes place! Oh Deb! Green, green...LOL
Go for the Gold Canada! Yahoo!



- 6 - I'm thankful for yet another son enjoying the Arthur Ransome books located in our family library.

Last week he was having a problem concentrating on his reading because it would appear the family puzzle and grabbing pieces was calling his name instead. A little puzzle making, a little bit of reading, back to the puzzle, back to reading. :)



- 7 - I'm thankful for the new mugs gifted to us at Christmas and the little chocolate truffle one of the teen girl friends made and gifted to our family.

Ooh-la-la Drool people! Drool!




- 8 - I'm thankful for tea time with my mother. What is a visit with my mother in town here or when I visit with her back home without taking time for tea? I'll tell you what it is - rushed and crazy. Just ask my mother!

During her visit to our home, we were finding it difficult to capture some mother-daughter time, just her and I for taking an entire afternoon together without having to run someone to work, to the barn, to a hockey tournament, or whatever else came with the timing of my parent's visit.

I'm happy to report though, together we discovered a new tea time house, reveled in our sipping and scone nibbling. Okay, so you'll laugh at me. This particular place, though complete with unique items to result as a feast for the eyes, they were sure chintzy on the cream and jam! Ha! hehehe




- 9 - I'm thankful for time spent just hanging out with family; both our family and extended family anytime the opportunity comes our way.

I'm thankful for a great Christmas with my parents again, the third year in a row, now a tradition for everyone. It was terrific not to have a repeat of the worst winter ever, like the one we moved here during
last year around the same time. It was great not to have boxes all over the place, barely moved in when they arrived, but it was sweet to have their help unpacking when time permitted.

There is just something about not having any family around outside of our little niche of home bunch for a major feasting that just leaves anyone wondering....why not? Our married kids have lives of their own, families of their own and we know all too well the feeling of having to juggle extended family during such times. Living 4000 miles away proves almost impossible as well to unite the entire fold together, at least not these days while we reside "in the east". Some day reunions will revive and continue again...


I'm a bit annoyed though. Mom, help! I realized when my camera battery was in need of recharging, all the rest of the Christmas Day photos were snapped on your camera as substitute and I forgot to copy them onto my computer before you left. Can you make me a CD? :( Please?



- 10 - I'm thankful for surprises around every corner, at least the reflective kind like the one right in the middle of a shopping mall!

Goodness, what a great advertisement to capture any passerby and hold his/her attention in the process, seizing the moment to make one think that "Life is Good", no matter what it holds for anyone. Yes, I LOVE life, all sorts of lives - call me purposely PROLIFE that is in all ways!