Monday, April 28, 2008

April Shower of Photos : : Day 28

April Shower of Photos
Day 28



Like I've been mentioning often here lately, it feels as though summer is already upon us here and the abundant warmth of the sun has been enticing us all outdoors. What do we do while outdoors? Why we think of gardening of course, and flowers, lots of flowers!

Like a kid in a candy shop, this was my kind of candy shop this day, not some consumer location promoting the sale of forbidden delectable sweets held in fancy glass canisters, rather today's candy shop for me was a floral nursery.

The visit was prompted by the necessity of a wee bit of color for a few outdoor patio pots all in dire need of being potted for summer. I've already fluffed up the soil with a rich overlay of potting soil, so it was off for a floral feast for us today, well at least for me and my girl.

Isn't it amazing how brilliant and amazing the color palette is on such a trip to a local nursery garden? Once my eyes completed scanning the vast selection of colorful floral displays, it seems to me the most tempting thing in the world was to choose much more than was noted on my wish list this day.

Wouldn't it be great to be blessed with seasonal "gift cards" to such places in advance, but honestly folks, where oh where to begin with such a splurge shopping binge here?


Today, my young daughter and I behaved for the most part, but wait until I confess this is our second visit there this week. I (ah-hem) needed a few more items to fill up my last pot, and besides it was my daughter's idea to visit today while her older sister was in her horse riding lesson just down the road from here.

So, we browsed the floral displays. once more, and then my daughter wondered around a bit, suddenly stopping because she not only found the water/pond plants, but she was drawn to a sign advertising "Koi fish for sale". In a quick jiffy, she was excited about the prospect of owing the little guys and decided we should really just forget the plants/florals and buy a fish instead. Never mind that we have no pond to place it in, let's just buy a fish she reasoned, or several and take them home. We'll work out a solution she assured me, but you know, I wasn't going to give in, NO WAY! We came home with what we shopped for...flowers! :-)

In deep thought pondering if it is better in sun or shade

Enjoy this photo visual of floral beauty, if only to remember the blessing of these things in our lives. Happy is the man who loves simple pleasures, and flowers are such a simple thing, so easy to love, offering us so much pleasure. Yeah, and I know it's much more than one photo of the day, sort of over the top, but I couldn't resist. Forgive me...LOL


A baby's fascinated play,
tugging at his mother's ear,
exploring ears, mouth, nose,
and the softness of her skin,
brings a smile to those who watch.

Lovers, even little ones like this child,
deck the beloved with lovely things,
tuck flowers in her hair,
make wreaths to bring her joy.
Mary, nourish my love for Jesus.



Flowers have an expression of countenance
as much as men or animals.
Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression;
some are pensive and diffident;
others again are plain, honest and upright,
like the broad-faced sunflower
and the hollyhock.



~Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers: A Discourse of Flowers


'Tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes!


~William Wordsworth,
("Lines Written in Early Spring," Lyrical Ballads, 1798)